The More Things “Change”
August 31, 2008 1 Comment
The left side of the political spectrum is tired of the same old nasty politics. Everyone knows that. Right?
They decry “Swift-Boating” (which, as far as I can tell, means: ‘coming forward and giving one’s opinion of a candidate one knew in the past’). They hate “Rovian” tactics. They want a new kind of politics. They want hope and change. This is what the Obama campaign is about.
In that spirit, just for the record, I offer up a non-exhaustive list of tactics I have seen lefties use in just the first 48 hours since the announcement of Sarah Palin as John McCain’s running mate:
- Criticizing the names of Governor Palin’s children.
- Calling her a bad mother.
- Criticizing her fashion sense (furs, etc.)
- Belittling her executive experience based on the number of people she has governed over (so only people with executive experience in New York, California, or Texas need apply? There’s something inferior about smaller-populated states?)
- Saying it’s ‘insulting’ and ‘sexist’ that McCain picked her because she’s a woman, which if taken seriously implies they would have accepted no female VP pick from McCain whatsoever.
- Spreading a nasty rumor about her 16-year-old daughter, scrutinizing the daughter’s physique in old photos in the process. (Classy, people.)
UPDATE II: Now, it seems that Palin must be sleeping with John McCain. Of course! That’s the only way women get to the top.
UPDATE III: Just for contrast, lefties, this is what a reasoned and intelligent critique of the Palin pick looks like: Resurrecting Rove by Oliver Kamm.